Friday 12 April 2019

Fierce Fragile Hearts Book Review



 Book Title: Fierce Fragile Hearts (Beautiful Broken Things #2)

Author: Sara Barnard

My Rating: 5*

Publication Date: February 7th 2019

Genre(s): Young adult

Pages: 354

Format Read: E-book


Goodreads: 'This time around, I'm going to be so much better. I'm going to prove to them that it was worth waiting on me.'
Two years after a downward spiral took her as low as you can possibly go, Suzanne is starting again. Again. She's back in Brighton, the only place she felt she belonged, back with her best friends Caddy and Rosie. But they're about to leave for university. When your friends have been your light in the darkness, what happens when you're the one left behind?

*This book is the second in a series (book 1 is Beautiful Broken Things) but can be read as a standalone. Don’t read on if you don’t want spoilers!

** Trigger warnings: Abuse, PTSD, Depression, mentions of suicide


I cannot put into words how much I loved this book! Fierce Fragile Hearts is Sara Barnard’s latest novel set 2 years after the first novel in the series, Beautiful Broken Things. It is a story about the struggles of growing up, friendships, relationships and everything in between. This time the novel is written from the perspective of Suzanne, who, after 2 years of hard work and recovery from her downward spiral, has decided to move back to Brighton to be with her two best friends Caddy and Rosie. But they are about to leave for university and Suzanne doesn’t know if she will be able to cope alone without them.

The most important part of this story is the love and friendship between these three girls and the development of their characters from book 1, especially Caddy and Suze’s friendship. Caddy was shy and always stuck to the rules until Suze came along and changed her life. The 2 years apart certainly tested the friendships of the three girls but the moment they were brought back together it was as if nothing had changed. I like how this book was told from Suze’s perspective as the reader is able to see inside her head and understand more of what she goes through on a daily basis living with anxiety and depression. Kel (Caddy’s boyfriend) and Suze’s friendship was refreshing to see and even though I loved how Caddy had asked him to look out for her I could tell he was doing it for himself too. Her friendship with her elderly neighbour Dilys also pulled on my heart strings continuously throughout! I loved how close they became in a time that Suze really needed someone to keep her grounded, and of course her little dog Henry.

The lack of romantic relationships and instead the focus on the friendships was what really made the first book and although there were some relationships in this book it showed the struggles of long distance relationships and coming to terms with who you are beautifully. Suze’s relationship with Matt was extremely complicated and even though I wanted to scream at Suze sometimes to let herself be loved I think the way Sara Barnard portrayed what it’s like to be struggling with feelings and letting her focus on herself instead of getting into a relationship was a really good addition.

After reading the first book I knew what I was getting myself into but still ended up ugly crying by the end. Suze’s character was written imperfectly perfect and I hope we get a third installment. Fierce Fragile Hearts is an accurate title for a character who is fierce, fragile, but also has the biggest heart and love for all of her friends. I hope you read this book and fall in love with all of the characters and laugh and cry like I did.

Comment and follow for updates!
Twitter: @gemmasbookshelf

2 comments: