Wednesday 6 November 2019

October Horror Wrap Up!



Throughout October I planned to read all Horror books and I managed to read 8 books! That is the most books I have ever read over one month! I also watched quite a few scary series. This is everything I read and watched:


The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson – 4*
I enjoyed the book even though I thought it was going to be scarier than it was. The ending was the best bit when it all reached a climax. I also watched the Netflix series of The Haunting of Hill House and even though it is completely different to the book with hardly any similarities, I think I liked the series more.

‘Dolly’ and ‘The Small Hand’ by Susan Hill – Both 3*
Susan Hill is known for her horror stories and I was expecting these to be scarier. Dolly was more about the psychological affects the dolls had on Edwards life rather than outright fear and The Small Hand, which was the better of the two, was an average ghost story with a nice little twist at the end.

The Haunted by Niki Valentine – 2*
Ugh this book was boring! From the cover, I thought I was going to get a haunting and a place of nightmares but in reality I got a repetitive psychological story with terrible characters. The only good thing about the book is the ending. Moral of the story: don’t judge a book by its cover!

‘The Rats’ and ‘Lair’ by James Herbert – Both 4*

This series was a lot better than I thought a story about mutant rats could be. The gruesome gory details got worse with every rat attack and I think I now have a fear of rats! I still need to read the third one though!

Carrie by Stephen King – 4*
My first ever Stephen King book and I really enjoyed it. It is about a girl with Telekinesis who is always being bullied by other children and finally she has enough and does something about it. It wasn’t scary but it was a good read.

The Near Witch by V.E Schwab – 3*
I took part in the #Hallowreadathon and one of the challenges was to read a book about withes and so I chose this. I have never read any of Schwab’s books before even though I have heard A LOT about her. I don’t really read books about witches but this book was good and I liked Lexi and Cole’s characters.

Now onto the series I watched! I don’t usually watch scary stuff on my own but I managed to watch quite a lot:
American Horror Story S8
I LOVE this show! The witches were back this season and it was the end of the world so perfect for Halloween.
Slasher S2
There was a lot of gore in this one as the killings are always gruesome and creative in a disgusting kind of way. I like being able to try and figure out who the murderer is even though I’m wrong most of the time!
Scream S1 and 2
This is a lot like Slasher in many ways, maybe slightly less gory but still a lot of death and another one where you can figure out who the murder is. I had no idea who the murderer was in S1 but I got it right in s2.
The Haunting of Hill House S1
I liked the series better than the book and I liked how it kept changing from the past with the family living in the house to the present with the children grown up and stil dealing with the affects of the house.
Swamp Thing S1
I am only halfway through this show but it is really good. It is a DC show about a monster that is formed by something in the swamp water creating a disease that is infecting the people of a small town.
Did you read or watch any horror this month? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment