Wednesday 26 June 2019

Mid-Year Freak Out Book Tag

This blog post is a little different to my usual book reviews but I saw it on Fantastic Book Dragon and it looked fun to see how my year in reading is going so far. I set my Goodreads goal to 30 books this year but I have already read 20 books so I underestimated how many I would read and will increase it next year! 


1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2019
It has to be Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier. I have always loved the gothic genre and this book was so beautifully written and was a lot more sinister and darker than I was expecting which kept the story alive throughout. (My review).
2. Best sequel you’ve read so far in 2019
Fierce Fragile Hearts by Sara Barnard was so good! I absolutely loved the first one and didn’t know if this one could live up to the standard but it was so much better than what I expected. READ THESE BOOKS! (My review).

3. New release you haven’t read yet but want to
I have heard a lot of good things about Circe by Madeline Miller and I am hoping to read
it in the next few weeks. Also We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal looks amazing!

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year
I am really looking forward to The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. This is the sequel to the Handmaid’s Tale (even though I haven’t even read that yet). I love the TV show and I am going to see Margaret Atwood on tour for this release which I am super excited about!

5. Biggest disappointment
Killing Eve Codename Villanelle was a really big disappointment for me because I am such a massive fan of the TV show I thought the book was going to be a lot better than it actually was. (My review).
6. Biggest surprise
I think Jamaica Inn surprised me the most because it is categorised as a classic and most of these books are incredibly dense and hard to read so I was a little wary of reading it but it surprised me as I actually really enjoyed reading it.

7. Favourite new author (debut or new to you)
I’m going to have to say Daphne Du Maurier again! I really want to read all of her books now. I am really disappointed that I hadn’t read any of hers sooner.

8. Newest fictional crush
I don’t have a fictional crush from any of the books I’ve read this year.

9. Newest favourite character
Villanelle from Killing Eve! Even though I didn’t like the book that much I love her character in the TV show. Does that count?

10. Book that made you cry
Fierce Fragile Hearts broke me! It is a book full of struggles, growing up and friendships and it was so beautifully written I couldn’t put it down.

11. Book that made you happy
The Stand-In Boyfriend by Emma Doherty was a cute little read about high school love and it included the fake dating trope that I always like to read.
12. Favourite book to film adaptation you saw this year
You by Caroline Kepnes was made into a pretty good series starring Dan from Gossip Girl as Joe. I have also just finished watching Good Omens which was great but I haven’t read the book yet! It is now on my never ending TBR!

13. Favourite review you’ve written this year
I’ve only written 5 reviews on my blog so far but I really loved writing about Fierce Fragile hearts. The story made me laugh and cry and all of the characters are so lovable. I’ve talked about this book so much today I really want to re-read it now!

14. Most beautiful book you’ve bought this year (or received)
Eve of Man by Giovanna and Tom Fletcher is such a pretty book! I love the colour gold and when you remove the book jacket; it reveals a beautiful golden maze.
             
15. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
I definitely need to read The Handmaid’s Tale and The Testaments before I go to see Margaret Atwood live! I also really need to read Vox by Christina Dalcher and the whole Caraval series by Stephanie Garber. I’m so behind on all the latest books!

This is my first mid-year freak out and I hope the second half of the year continues to be as full of wonderful books as the first half. Does anyone have any recommendations of books that I should be reading? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I adore The Handmaid's Tale and I can't wait to read the sequel once it is out. I'm glad you are almost head of your goal for reading this year. I have 13 left before I hit the mark I want to be at. Good luck with the rest of your reading!

    ReplyDelete