Saturday 4 December 2021

Heidi Swain Q&A



Hello!

For the month of December the #TsundokuSquad read is Underneath the Christmas Tree by Heidi Swain. Not only are we reading this book but Heidi Swain agreed to a Q&A so the group came up with a selection of questions which Heidi answered!


For anyone who hasn't read any of your books where would you recommend starting?

That’s a great question! I would suggest reading the books in series publication order to build up character and setting knowledge. So, for the Wynbridge books that’s THE CHERRY TREE CAFÉ, for Nightingale Square SUNSHINE AND SWEET PEAS and Wynmouth, THE SECRET SEASIDE ESCAPE. 

All the books work as standalone titles as they feature different main characters so you don’t have to read in order for them to make sense, but lots of readers tell me that publication order works best for them and I always listen to my fabulous readers!


What inspired Underneath the Christmas Tree?

Back in November 2019 I read an article in Country Living magazine about a business that rented out potted Christmas trees and that gave me the initial idea for Wynter’s Trees. I loved the eco credentials and thought setting a story somewhere where visitors could buy gifts from local crafters among snow-topped trees while drinking marshmallow-topped hot chocolate would be the ultimate romantic festive setting!


Are there any Christmas traditions you & your family uphold every year?

Absolutely! Even though my son and daughter are in their twenties we still make gingerbread, put out a mince pie for Santa and a carrot for the reindeer and read The Night Before Christmas on the 24th. The tree is topped with their reception class angels and I watch Carols from Kings and read A Christmas Carol on December 1st. I love our festive traditions!


Of your books which is your favourite?

That’s impossible to answer. A bit like picking a favourite child! The books are all special in different ways. THE CHERRY TREE CAFÉ is special because it was the first, SLEIGH RIDES AND SILVER BELLS turned me into a Sunday Times Bestseller and SUNSHINE AND SWEET PEAS gave me the courage to leave Wynbridge. Sorry, I can’t single one out from the crowd. I love them all!


Wynbridge, Wynmouth or Nightingale Square: which is your favourite place to write about?

Again, I love them all for different reasons. That said, I adore Wynthorpe Hall which is set in the countryside just beyond Wynbridge, so if you were going to really push me, I’d probably say there.


Who is your favourite character & why?

Jemma, who runs The Cherry Tree Café is a firm favourite. She’s never had her own book, but plays such an important role in lots of the others. She’s a very strong, determined, successful and ambitious woman who runs her family (with Tom) and her businesses and plays a vital part in the local community. She’s a real powerhouse and an inspiration.


If you were to write a spinoff for one character who would you choose?

Probably Jemma. It would be good to put her in the spotlight for once. Although I get the feeling she’d resist. She likes bustling away in the background.


Of your characters who do you most relate to?

All of them in different ways. There’s a little bit of me in all of my characters, especially the main ones. It might be a like or dislike, or a physical resemblance – being short for example. 


Which of your books would make the perfect film & who would you cast in the leading roles?

I would love to see any of them made into films, although I would worry that the image of the settings I have in my head wouldn’t be the same as what was created for the screen. 

I think the Christmas books could be beautiful so any of those. I have no idea who I’d cast in the leading roles but the main men would have to look good in a chunky knit. I can’t resist a big, tall guy in a chunky knit! 


What are you currently reading?

Right now, I’m reading a couple of books. The Christmas Chronicles by Nigel Slater and Twelve Days of Christmas by Trisha Ashley. I read them both in the run up to December every year.


Which book do you wish you'd written?

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. It’s my absolute favourite and its message is still as relevant today as it was when he first published it.


Which book do you always recommend?

A Christmas Carol.


When did you first consider yourself an author?

I don’t think there was ever a big lightbulb moment, more a whole series of pinch me moments. I remember standing in a supermarket with my daughter and looking at SUMMER AT SKYLARK FARM which had been placed on the shelf next to JK Rowling. That was a BIG moment for me. Even though it was my second release, it was the first paperback and therefore very special. 

I consider myself extremely fortunate. It’s a huge commitment to write two books a year and very hard work, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. It took almost forty years and a whole heap of effort to finally be able to call myself an author and I’m proud I made it. 


Have you ever fancied writing under a pseudonym & what genre would you choose?

The simple answer is no and no! I think I’d get confused if people knew me by another name and writing two books a year doesn’t leave much time to think about writing anything else. I love cosy crime, but I don’t think I could write one.

Then again, never say never. If you’d told me just a decade ago that I’d have all these wonderful books on the supermarket, bookshop and library shelves in 2021, I wouldn’t have believed you!


The important stuff...


Christmas Day or New Year's Eve?

Christmas Day


Mince pie or chocolate log?

Mince pie


Sprouts - yes or no?

Yes! Always yes!


I haven't actually read any of Heidi Swain's books before but a lot of the Tsundoku Squad have and are constantly recommending her books! I am excited to get stuck into this Christmas book and hope everyone else enjoys it too.

All of her Christmas books are currently only 99p on Kindle so look no further for a bargain!

Thank you to Heidi Swain for taking the time to answer these questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment