Sunday 18 October 2020

Horror October!

 Hello!

Last year I dedicated the whole month of October to reading scary books and I am doing the same thing this month! We are already halfway through the month so here is what I have already read and what I thought of them:


1. The Malan Witch by Catherine Cavendish - 3*


This is a novella about a woman who needs some time away from home after her husband has died and so stays in her sister's holiday cottage in a nice little village. However it soon becomes obvious that there is something wrong with the cottage which traces back many years to when 2 witches lived on the same land. It was a good story but the ending seemed to be a bit abrupt and was a little bit confusing.


2. In a Dark Dark Wood by Ruth Ware - 4*.


Nora hasn't seen her ex best friend Clare in 10 years when she is suddenly invited to her Hen weekend in a house in the middle of nowhere. This isn't really a horror, it's more of a thriller mystery but it was quite creepy in some places and trying to figure out what happened in between Nora's fractured memories and the events of the weekend was really intense and left me needing to read on to find out what happened and who was to blame. I really liked this book and the ending was a shock although I did have a tiny inkling about the culprit, I just didn't know how it all fit together. 


My next read is Pet Sematary by Stephen King!



Last year I read Carrie by King but that was much shorter compared to this book which is 465 pages! I am looking forward to it and I hope it is as scary as it sounds. I also haven't seen the film but I am going to watch it when I have finished reading it.


I also want to try and read The Shining by Stephen King before the end of the month.


This is one of my favourite horror films of all time and I really hope the book is as good as the adaptation!


I have also been watching scary films and series throughout the month:

The Haunting of Bly Manor on Netflix is so good and scary!

I also watched The Poltergeist (1982) and I thought it was going to be terrifying but because it is such an old film it was actually really funny with some scary moments especially the ending.

I watched IT last year and so I really want to watch IT 2 but the clown terrifies me and I don't want to watch it alone!

I have also never watched Hocus Pocus before but I am definitely going to watch it this month because it seems to be such a classic in the genre.


Are you reading anything scary for spooky season?

Do you have any recommendations? 

Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment